This book is the perfect companion for every vegetable gardener—even those who have never touched a trowel and wouldn’t know mulch from mud! The practical advice presented in the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook demystifies gardening by providing the best, most proven methods for sowing, growing, and harvesting.
Highlights include …
· Step-by-step advice for success with more than 30 vegetables in any zone
· The dirt on soil: why testing is so important—and how to do it
· Easy techniques for growing in-ground, plus alternatives to traditional raised beds
· Seed-starting and -saving methods simplified
· Gardeners’ friends and foes: which plants help (or hinder) vegetables
· Enlightening (and humorous!) anecdotes from fellow gardeners
· Space for noting observations and experiences
· More than 150 full-color photos
· Essential reference tables and charts
· Much, much more!
Created for new gardeners, green thumbs, and old hands alike, The Old Farmer’s Almanac Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook is loaded with advice and inspiration to help plants—and growers—thrive.
Only The Old Farmer’s Almanac has the experience and longevity to offer the very best tried-and-true information, tips, and advice about all things gardening and growing. With the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook, we are a patient master gardener passing down the secrets of growing great food to every gardener.
Founded in 1792, The Old Farmer’s Almanac has been providing guidance on growing a bountiful garden, timekeeping, running a smart and happy home, and enjoying the many wonders of Earth and sky for more than two centuries! One of North America’s longest continuously published periodicals, this best-seller features articles, information resources, and tips that are always “useful, with a pleasant degree of humor.” The Almanac also produces books on gardening and cooking, an annual Garden Guide, the Garden Planner (an interactive online resource for planning and recording garden activities), a collection of calendars (including the best-selling Gardening calendar), a biannual Almanac for Kids, and EXTRA! (a monthly e-magazine). The Old Farmer’s Almanac also reaches millions through its powerful presence on Almanac.ca and the Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest social media platforms.